Ramblyville

... where thoughts come to settle down and have kids.

Friday, April 13, 2007

Cravings

When you are in the prescence of something you crave, or when it constantly pops up in your life, it's only natural to want to have it. For example, when I'm at home, I will always want to log on to MSN, and visit various shopping sites, too. However, when I am not at home, I don't think about it much at all. So it follows that when quitting an addiction, you should keep whatever it is you crave away from sight.

True?

Well then why is it that this is not happening right for this particular addiction I have? I don't exactly have temptation floating all around, yet I keep dreaming about it. And the more I don't have it, the more I need it.

I have a theory. It's math. When you don't have something, there's a small vacuum inside of your mind. The longer it has been since you did do it, the bigger this space gets. Size of space is proportional to need. There's another factor, and that is the amount of contact you get with the stuff you desire without actually tasting it. Amount of contact is proportional to need.

Hence, when I don't get contact with this thing I so crave, my need is supposed to diminish, BUT, and this is a big but - because the size of the emptiness in my head is larger than the amount of contact is small, the need is still pretty huge. Giant, in fact.

It all makes sense now. What I need to do now is to quench it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home